Have you experienced dental fear?
If you are a patient dealing with dental fear and anxiety, you are not alone. Dental fear and anxiety are one of the most common reasons patients avoid visiting the dentist. Regular dental visits are imperative to improving your oral health.
Newport News dentist Dr. William Harper provides compassionate, patient-centered dental care in our Virginia dental office. Dr. Harper can work with you to identify the root cause of your dental anxiety and develop a treatment plan based on your needs. Visiting the dentist doesn’t have to be a scary experience if you are under the care of a trusted, experienced dentist. Visit our Poquoson, VA for the dental care you need. To schedule an appointment, call 757.414.7227 or request an appointment online.
Common dental fear factors:
- Fear of losing control
- Fear of needles
- Fear stemming from a past experience at the dentist
- Fear of drills and loud noises
- Fear of pain
Tips For Overcoming Dental Fear
It is important to understand where your dental fear stems from. If you understand the cause of your dental fear, you can work with your dentist to overcome it. The longer you avoid the dentist, the more likely your oral health will suffer. Talk to our team at Harper Dental Care to find what solutions work for you. Our goal is to help our patients improve their oral health through personalized, patient-focused dental care.
- Bring a person that your trust to your dental visit. Bringing a friend with you for moral support can help you feel comfortable.
- Try relaxation techniques like meditation, deep breathing, or visualization.
- Listen to an audiobook or music while you are receiving your treatment.
- Ask questions about your treatment. Knowing what to expect throughout your treatment can help you remain calm and relaxed.
- Talk to you dentist about taking breaks during your treatment.
- See if sedation dentistry is right for you. We offer a full range of sedation dentistry options for patients with dental fear and anxiety.