Newport News Dentist Dr. William Harper, DDS
Dr. William Harper is a comprehensive dentist in Poquoson, Virginia. Though the state of Virginia only requires a dentist to complete 15 hours of continuing education per year, Dr. Harper has averaged over 100 hours each year in the last decade. This commitment to advanced education allows Dr. Harper to provide patients with the highest level of care that research and experience can offer.
“So many people are walking around with teeth they’re not proud of because they don’t think they have any options. I want them to know that they do.” – William G. Harper, DDS featured in Guest Speaker Magazine, “What’s New With Cosmetic Dentistry”
Before opening his dental office in Poquoson, VA, Dr. Harper served as a dentist in the United States Navy at Jacksonville, Florida and with the US Marine Corps at Cherry Point, North Carolina. Dr. Harper’s father was a US Naval Officer and his brother is currently serving in the US Army. His family experience combined with his own personal military experience give him a unique perspective on the needs and challenges facing military families. Dr. Harper works with many military families in his dental office and is committed to giving them a dental experience that is focused on the needs and goals of the individual patient. In addition, he strives to give premium care that is convenient, affordable, and stress-free.
Dr. Harper has extensive background in all aspects of dentistry, but chose to focus on comprehensive treatment planning for complex cases, including aesthetic and functional improvements. Think of Dr. Harper as a mouth “architect”. Starting with a precise diagnosis, he will create a strategic treatment plan and coordinate with specialists, lab technicians and other support persons to achieve the best possible results for each individual case.
As a dentist, Dr. Harper is able to pair his interests in health and science with his talent for art and esthetics. Dr. Harper enjoys interacting with patients of all ages to make a meaningful difference in not just their dental health, but their overall well-being.
Education and Training
- James Madison University
- MCV-VCU Dental School- honors graduate
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry – ADA accredited program through the US Navy (Jacksonville, Florida)
- Over 1000 hours of continuing education
- Dawson Academy- 158 hours
Dental Honors & Achievements
- Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Fellow, International College of Dentists
- Fellow, American College of Dentists
- Sustaining Member, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dawson Academy Alumni Association
- American Dental Association
- Virginia Dental Association
- Peninsula Dental Society
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Spear Faculty Club
- Faulkner Implant Study Club
- Peninsula Implant Study Club
- Peninsula Dental Society, Past President (2008–2009)
- Former Delegate, Virginia Dental Association House of Delegates
- Missions of Mercy volunteer
- New Horizons mentor
- Give Kids a Smile volunteer
- Dental Health Month speaker and educator
- Give Back a Smile volunteer with American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
Dr. Harper’s personal life closely resembles the ideals he strives for in his professional career…to make a difference and leave the world a better place than I found it. Dr. Harper is married with three children. He devotes much of his time and interests on activities with them.
“As the son of a naval officer, I moved around frequently during my childhood. The transient lifestyle of the military enriched my life with valuable experiences and gave me unique perspectives. I am blessed to have found my way to Hampton Roads, where my wife was raised, to settle down, establish my practice, and raise my own family.”
– Dr. William Harper
When not in the office, Dr. Harper can be found coaching youth basketball and soccer. He helps kids build confidence by teaching them skills to overcome challenges on or off the field. Dr. Harper and his family take advantage of coastal living and enjoy boating, fishing, surfing, and beach-combing in Southeastern Virginia and Eastern North Carolina.